The Pebbles Project seeks to employ a Principal to be based at the Pebbles Project Hemel-en-Aarde Education Project. Pebbles Project reserves the right to not fill this position. If you have not been invited for an interview after 4 weeks after submission, please consider your application unsuccessful. EE Candidates may be given preference.
To apply for this position please click here
|Department||Primary Education Programme (PEP)|
|Position reports to||Chief Operations Officer|
|Ordinary location(s)||Hemel-en-Aarde Education Project (HEAEP)|
|Requirements||● Afrikaans and English language fluency|
● Completed B.Ed. or PGCE degree
● Honours or a Masters qualification will be advantageous
● SACE registration
● Clear criminal record
● A minimum of 3 years working experience in the NPO sector advantageous
● Previous experience in a Management/Principal position in a primary school
● Must have a valid driving licence and own reliable transport
● Must be prepared to obtain a code 10 driving license and drive a passenger vehicle
● Advanced computer skills
|Qualities:||● Grit: Persistence through challenges.|
● Excellence: A track record of high performance personally and professionally.
● Mission and Vision Alignment: Understanding of and passion for the Pebbles Project mission to provide excellent education and services to agricultural communities.
● Self-Reflection: Finding the capacity to bring your best self to challenges and opportunities.
● Capacity: Ability to juggle multiple tasks in a diverse and multi-disciplinary environment
● Values: Service, Persistence, Achievement, Responsibility, Kindness
Awareness: Knowledge of working with learners from rural/agricultural communities
Critical performance areas
● Project Management
● Project Culture
● Financial Management
● Teaching, Learning and Learner Development
● Monitoring and Evaluation
● Staff Management
● Stakeholder Engagement
Purpose of Position
The Principal is responsible for ensuring the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of all education programmes that are presented at The Pebbles Project Hemel-en-Aarde Education Project, to ensure beneficiaries (aged 3 months – 25 years) have the opportunity to reach their potential.
The Principal drives learner achievement by leading a team of staff to prepare learners for the next educational phase through a holistic developmental approach. The Principal sets the vision for learner achievement and leads staff, families and the greater community to fulfil that vision. The Principal collaborates with the Chief Operations Officer, Senior Management and Programme Managers to uphold high expectations for projects’ culture, achievement, and professional development.
● To oversee all project operations (academic, administration, facilities and project management).
● To ensure the development and implementation of all laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
● To liaise with and ensure compliance with the Department of Social Development, and Department of Education and local partner NPOs regarding registrations.
● To lead the process for achieving accreditation with Umalusi and maintain ongoing accreditation.
● To oversee the management and implementation of all management systems (internally and externally).
● To take responsibility for effective internal collaboration with Programme and Service Managers.
● To oversee renovations and maintenance for the centres and grounds.
● To oversee all aspects of the financial management of the project, including but not limited to, the effective management of fees, petty cash, purchasing, statements and the application of the financial policy.
● To oversee the Project Management Team.
● To create and maintain a project culture that values high achievement, strong character, and a love for learning.
● To implement programmes that promote content mastery, creative problem-solving, and character development, which is consistent with the Pebbles Project vision, mission and values.
● To set the tone for cultural responsiveness, cultural awareness, diversity and inclusivity
TEACHING, LEARNING AND LEARNER DEVELOPMENT
● To oversee all tasks related to teaching, learning and curriculum development.
● To take overall responsibility for all education programmes resources, assets and equipment.
● To manage the behaviour policy, learner behaviour and oversee the implementation of individualised plans for learners who repeatedly do not meet behavioural expectations.
● To oversee the implementation of the Early Care and Education Programme, Learner Education and Enrichment Programme and Early Adulthood Programme initiatives at the ECD Centre, Pebbles Academy, After-School Club and Skills Development Centre.
● To ensure the initiatives are executed in alignment with the Pebbles Project Framework.
● To oversee all monitoring and evaluation in alignment with the Pebbles Project Framework (including administrative requirements) and to assist the Chief Operations Officer with collecting relevant and appropriate data needed for effectively monitoring the relevant services.
● To teach a subject for selected grades at the Pebbles Project Academy.
● To implement the Onsite Support Initiative in the Early Childhood Development centre.
● To lead a team of approximately 15 – 20 staff members.
● To facilitate staff professional development through a consistent observation and coaching cycle.
● To manage and support direct reports (i.e., teachers), including onboarding, managing performance and developing staff capability through mentoring and training.
● To oversee and support volunteers/intern placements.
● To liaise and maintain positive relationships with stakeholders (communities, staff, parents, service providers, donors, farm owners, NPO partners and government departments) and leverage these relationships to increase learner achievement and overall success of the project.
● To lead monthly and termly school-wide community events, leveraging the capacity of the project management team, teachers and active parents for support.
● To perform any additional ad-hoc duties, as requested by senior management.
Protecting babies, children and young people from child abuse and neglect is integral to the work of the Pebbles Project
Policy Information The Pebbles Project Trust has zero tolerance of child abuse. Protecting babies, children and young people from abuse and neglect is integral to the provision of services we deliver to these children and their families. It is a core responsibility for all Pebbles Project staff.