The Pebbles Project Trust seeks to employ a part-time Math and Literacy Tutor to be based in Grabouw.
The organization reserves the right not to fill the vacancy and EE candidates may be given preference. If you have not received any feedback within 4 weeks of submission, please assume your application is unsuccessful.
|Job title||Math and Literacy Tutor|
|Department||School Enrichment Programme (SEP)|
|Position reports to||SEP Manager|
|Minimum Requirements||● Relevant Tertiary Qualification in Education or currently completing a relevant qualification.|
● Fluent in written and spoken Afrikaans and English
● Must have a valid driving license and own reliable transport
● Must be prepared to obtain a code 10 driving license and drive a passenger vehicle.
● Ability to work independently and as part of our great team
● Ability to work flexible hours (some weekends and evenings occasionally)
● Attention to detail, ability to plan and prioritize work, meeting deadlines to successfully deliver range of programme outcomes/deliverables
● Ability to have effective communication skills, problem solving skills, stress management, creativity, resourcefulness and an openness to learning and growth
|Working hours||Mon-Thursday 13:30-17:30 which includes one full day per week.|
Purpose of this Position
The SEP Math Initiative, through functional Math, provides one-on-one and small group tutoring to learners aged 6-18 years to improve their understanding of number concepts, problem solving and reasoning skills.
● To develop numeracy skills based activities across all age cohorts.
● To assist with homework, exam preparation and tutor individual learners and small groups as scheduled.
● To assist the Math Initiative Coordinator to develop and implement an integrated math curriculum.
● To plan and execute functional maths projects in consultation with the Life Skills and Extra-Curricular Manager.
● To facilitate and design activities that promote experiential learning and reinforce pre-math concepts.
● To demonstrate and teach computer literacy skills through mathematical educational programmes.
● To conduct learner baseline/summative assessments.
● To assist with identifying and referring special educational needs cases (specifically related to Math) to the support teachers.
● To identify learners with barriers to learning (specifically in mathematics) and develop appropriate intervention activities in consultation with the support teacher.
● To provide training to the practitioners onsite, when required.
● To conduct regular stock -take of all educational resources, laptops and any other resources that have been assigned to the position.
● To conduct bi annual inventory for the Math Initiative and report any assets changes/losses to the SEP Manager and Financial Manager.
Delivery of the Sep Literacy Support Initiative
• To deliver the SEP literacy initiative activities at After-school Club (ASC) centres.
• To ensure the lesson preparation is completed before the learners arrive at the ACS centres.
• To ensure that the learners are following the programme as set out by the SEP manager.
• To prepare and distribute learning materials that will assist with the development of literacy amongst the SEP learners.
• To present reading and writing activities in small groups or in one-on-one settings.
• To assist with the identification of learners with reading difficulties.
• To communicate regularly with the SEP Manager and other staff members on learner progress.
• To model appropriate literacy interventions and train staff on implementing these strategies, where applicable.
• To assist with coordinating and overseeing literacy volunteers.
• To assist in maintaining a safe and healthy learning environment.
• To assist the Special Educational Needs (SEN) Manager with relevant intervention.
• To present at the SEP practitioner training sessions in alignment with the Pebbles Project Framework.
• To assist with homework, exam preparation and tutor individual learners when required
Coordinate the Sep Literacy Initiative
• To assist the SEP Manager with the development of the SEP Literacy Initiative and the required activities.
• To oversee the coordinating, the SEP Literacy Initiative.
• To integrate the use of literacy with other SEP initiatives.
• To purchase and manage the resources with the approval of the SEP Manager.
• To research and prepare literacy activities as per the literacy curriculum.
• To provide weekly curriculum training to Assistant Tutors.
• To take overall responsibility for the management of resources and inventories in all regions.
• To ensure that the initiative is implemented correctly by the tutors and practitioners at the ASC centres.
• To oversee the administration of the initiative including the marking of assessment tests in all regions.
Monitoring and Evaluation
● To analyze learner school reports and identify trends to improve the initiative.
● To ensure all initiatives activities are executed in alignment to the Pebbles Project framework (activities, tasks, key performances indicators and reports)
● To ensure accurate and relevant initiative information and data is reported on a quarterly basis.
● To assist in reviewing and evaluating the learners’ work.
● To assist with maintaining weekly records of learners.
● To do all tasks according to the agreed targets regarding time, quantity and quality.
● To attend internal staff training.
● Assist the senior management team with the collection of relevant and appropriate information
● Assist the Chief Operations Officer/Chief Administrative Officer with the collection of relevant and appropriate data needed for the effective monitoring of the relevant services.
● To ensure that all responsibilities and instructions are clearly understood, and to clear up any misunderstandings before the task commences.
● To follow a reasonable instruction as a contribution to the productivity of the Pebbles Project.
● To perform any additional duties, as requested by your line manager or senior management.
Protecting babies, children and young people from child abuse and neglect is integral to the work of the Pebbles Project
Policy Information The Pebbles Project Trust has zero tolerance of child abuse. Protecting babies, children and young people from abuse and neglect is integral to the provision of services we deliver to these children and their families. It is a core responsibility for all Pebbles Project staff.