The Pebbles Project seeks to employ a Math Tutor to be based in Stellenbosch.
Pebbles Project reserves the right not to fill this vacancy and EE candidates may be given preference.
If you have not been invited for an interview within 8 weeks of submission, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Closing date: 30 November 2023
|Job title||Math Tutor|
|Department||School Enrichment Programme (SEP)|
|Position reports to||Math Tutor|
|Ordinary location(s)||Stellenbosch Head Office and SEP Centres|
|Minimum Requirements||● Relevant Tertiary Qualification in Education|
● Fluent in written and spoken Afrikaans and English
● Must have a valid driving licence and own reliable transport
● Must be prepared to obtain a code 10 driving license and drive a passenger vehicle
● Ability to work independently and as part of our great team
● Ability to work flexible hours (some weekends and evenings occasionally)
● Attention to detail, ability to plan and prioritise work, meeting deadlines to successfully deliver range of programme outcomes/deliverables
● Ability to have effective communication skills, problem solving skills, stress management, creativity, resourcefulness and an openness to learning and growth
|Working hours||Monday, from 09h00 – 18h00 and Tuesday – Thursday, from 13h30-17h30|
|Benefits||• NPO-related salary|
• Annual bonus (funding dependent and trustee approval)
• Career development opportunities
• Organisation pension plan
• Additional 12 paid holiday leave days above statutory leave
• Birthday leave
• Access to quality Primary Healthcare and Dental services
• Paid Maternity, Parental and Adoption Leave
• Comprehensive induction programme
• Long service rewards
|Purpose of this position|
|The SEP Math Initiative, through functional Math, provides one-on-one and small group tutoring to learners aged 6-18 years to improve their understanding of number concepts, problem-solving and reasoning skills.|
- To develop numeracy skills-based activities across all age cohorts.
- To assist with homework, exam preparation and tutor individual learners and small groups as scheduled.
- To assist the Math Coordinator to develop and implement an integrated math curriculum.
- To plan and execute functional maths projects in consultation with the Life Skills and Extra-Curricular Manager.
- To facilitate and design activities that promote experiential learning and reinforce pre-math concepts.
- To demonstrate and teach computer literacy skills through mathematical educational programmes.
- To conduct learner baseline/summative assessments.
- To assist with identifying and referring special educational needs cases (specifically related to Math) and develop intervention activities.
- To provide training to the practitioners onsite, when required.
- To conduct regular stock -take of the educational resources, laptops and any other resources that have been assigned to the position.
- To conduct bi-annual inventory for the Math Initiative and report any assets changes/losses.
MONITORING AND EVALUATION
- To analyse learner school reports and identify trends to improve the initiative.
- To ensure all initiatives activities are executed in alignment to the Pebbles Project framework.
- To ensure accurate and relevant initiative information and data is reported on a quarterly basis.
- To assist in reviewing and evaluating the learners’ work.
- To assist with maintaining weekly records of learners.
- To do all tasks according to the agreed targets regarding time, quantity and quality.
- To assist the senior management team with the collection of relevant and appropriate data needed for the effective monitoring of the relevant services.
- To ensure that all responsibilities and instructions are clearly understood, and to clear up any misunderstandings before the task commences.
- To follow a reasonable instruction as a contribution to the productivity of the Pebbles Project.
- To perform any additional duties, as requested by your line manager or senior management.
rotecting babies, children and young people from child abuse and neglect is integral to the work of the Pebbles Project
Policy Information The Pebbles Project Trust has zero tolerance of child abuse. Protecting babies, children and young people from abuse and neglect is integral to the provision of services we deliver to these children and their families. It is a core responsibility for all Pebbles Project staff.